Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reunited... and it Feels Great!


In researching this week’s Family Reunion theme I came across one of the sweetest aspects of family reunification--relatives finding one another after their lives have been separated by adoption.  In 1954, Jean Paton, known as the"‘grandmother’" of the adoption reunion movement, formed Orphan Voyageand, the first adoption reunification service. By 1985 grass roots groups had blossomed into an industry with more than 500 search and support organizations worldwide. 



One such group I happened upon while on Facebook is a U.S.-based nonprofit called Find My Family Adoption Reunion Registry. Their Info page states:
  • 1 in 15 people are affected by adoption.
  • In 1996 the Mutual Consent Adoption Registry was established as a way for adoptees and birth family members, who are mutually searching for each other, to have their reunion facilitated by a "search angel."  The registry, now with almost 20,000 people, has resulted in thousands of wonderful reunions.
  • The goal is to be a user-friendly and safe place where adoptees and birth family members can find one another at no charge.
Their vision is simple--“to reconnect every adoptee with their birth family.”

Run by Adoption Search Angel Judy Skeinbein and Co-Founder/Webmaster Aaron Skeinbein, their services are provided free of charge, with donations greatly appreciated in order to cover expenses. The registry’s Facebook page boasts a never-ending collection of testimonials. Here are just a few:
“Dear Judy, my life has been a whirlwind for a month now since you found my sister for me. I want you to know how much it means to me to have my sister in my life. I can never tell you thank you enough. This has been quite the experience. We take that risk to find our families. It is much better knowing than not knowing, whatever the outcome. I am so glad to have found wonderful people like you to help me. I will appreciate your help forever. Thank you again.” 
“I am another grateful adoptee that you helped connect with my birth mother. Margaret is a wonderful addition to my family's life! The best part for her was instantly becoming a grandmother to my 4 and now 5 children. The best part for me is the two brothers and sister I never knew I had. You should write a book someday, I would be happy to provide a chapter. I think you could call it "An Angels Work" because that is what you do and who you are!” 
“Judy, in January 2002, you helped us find our Daughter. Her father and I are back together after 40 years and we finally had a chance to meet her and her husband last August 2003. It was the most fantastic and emotionally can't believe it thing that has happened to us. She is so beautiful and such a wonderful person. I am so proud of her and what she has done with her life. We are currently rebuilding our home in Arizona as we had a fire last April. We met her on our vacation when we came through Reno Nevada. She and her husband will be coming down here to Arizona when the house is finished. We can never thank you enough for what you did for us. Please keep helping people as long as you can. It really makes a difference. You are an angel !!!!!!!!!! Thank you again.”
If you or a loved one seek to reconnect with family members separated by adoption, visit the registry at http://www.FindMyFamily.org
Or you can register directly on their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Find-My-Family-Adoption-Reunion-Registry/181594358431


Warmly,
Lilo






No comments:

Post a Comment