Friday, July 8, 2011

From Potato Sacks to Potato Salad...My Family Reunion

My annual family reunion was always a big deal, and an event my parents, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles looked forward to all year.  It was always held at Aunt Billye's.  Not only was she my "coolest'" relative, but she had the BEST party place complete with sprawling home, detached guest cottage, outdoor changing rooms, horseshoe court and a pool!!!!


I spent most of our reunions underwater, creating convoluted pool games and listening to the muffled dialogue topside.  The only sound that seemed to cut through the chlorine was the effervescent laugh of my cousin DeeDee... who would best be described as Jessica Beil's gorgeous older sister.  As a kid I would literally just stare at her in jaw-dropped wonder.


In addition to pool fun, a reunion highlight was the silly picnic games we played.  Potato sack races and all other pursuits were designed to remind participants not to take themselves too seriously.  Being by far the youngest of the cousin crew,  I always got a kick out of the"'little" kids my older cousins began bearing and bringing to the festivities.

The food was always beyond mouth-watering.  From classic Americana such as my mom's perfect potato salad to whatever exotic dish my Auntie A brought that my dad wouldn't touch (leaving more for me), to the Greek "married-in" side of the family's ethnic delectables, I always overstuffed myself and faced the consequences when jumping back into the pool, as I routinely did while swallowing the last mouthful of my 6th or 7th brownie.


Not one for the water, Cousin Todd spent the bulk of his time grilling elder family members for info to add to his ever-growing and detailed family genealogy.  We made fun of him at the time, but as adults, we came to appreciate all he did to chronicle our family, relations, activities and accomplishments... especially the nefarious ones.

My family has long since dispersed around the country, and globe for that matter, but the memories of these happy times live on in my heart, waiting to be shared with future generations.

Thanks, iLivediLoved, for the opportunity to recall those delightful days when my hair turned green, my cheeks were pinched by a lineup of aunties, and I found my favorite childhood author, Edgar Allen Poe, in Uncle Lefty's study while hiding to escape a family debate on politics.

~ Nancy C.


2 comments:

  1. What a great story Nancy. A lot of what you shared here has brought back the experiences I was most fond of when I was a kid. I love the "jumping into the pool with a mouthful of brownie"... Ha! I can hear my mother saying "You have to wait or you'll get a side ache!"... Fun times indeed! ~jr

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never had big extended family reunions growing up...just the occasional "we're coming to your town" kind of visits. Maybe it's time to start this tradition with my own kids.

    ReplyDelete