Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ready, Set... Write!

November celebrates its annual Nanowrimo observance, or more intelligibly, National Novel Writing Month.  Described as Thirty Days and Nights of Literary Abondon, the Nov 1-30 frenzy began in July of 1999 in the San Francisco Bay Area.  A baker's dozen years later, the phenomenon has become a mainstream holiday tradition for some, along the lines of Christmas cookie baking and tree decorating.  

So just how does one go about this novel business?  Is it really possible to cobble a cohesive 50,000 word story in just 30 days?  To be sure, all writers are different.  Even so, there are a few resources readily available on the net to get you in fighting, writing shape.  Marg McAlister's The Busy Writer's One Hour Plot  is a great weapon in the war against writer's block, and can help kickstart your project and get the creative juices flowing in clear, tangible fashion.  Even the Wired site offers a 5-step how-to wiki on the subject.  

About 3 months ago I unwittingly found myself co-authoring a book.  What began as a light editing project evolved into the composition of more than 70,000 words on my part, more than 80% of the final product.  The writing itself was hastily accomplished in 19 days, with my basic editing taking just about 11 days more.  The formatting was another story.  I chose self-publishing in order to get the project published immediately and I can safely say I shed more blood, sweat and tears over the formatting than the actual writing.

Now a published and (unbelievably) paid author, would I do it all again?  To say 'yes' would be an understatement, since I am already working on the follow-up tome.  The most unexpected part of the speedy process has been the reactions of readers, more accurately, fans!  I have received countless personal messages from new devotees telling me of how my story affected and inspired them.  Frankly, if I'd known this sort of positive fallout was possible, I would've taken up noveling years ago.

We all have a story to tell, a story to share, a story we've lived.  And that goes for you too!  So what are you waiting for?  What you have to offer the literary world may be exactly what some reader out there not only wants, but needs.  

Good luck, and easy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment